I know everyone is going to say TLDNR but whatever, here goes anyways.
In my opinion HoN looks like shit.
I agree....But i won't be found on the HoN forums professing that.
Just doesnt seem to be of any value to do.
Wish the reverse was also true.
This point is invalid because you didn't pay for HoN. I have not complained about the look of DG at all, I just want the game to work as well as these other games. Since you don't want us to compare games are you saying we just sit on our hands and be happy with the fact that other games are doing things SO MUCH better?
None of that changes my point. Demigod has its flaws, some experiance more tha others. Griping about it and informing the commuity how much better HoN is does nothing to fix any of the above.
I think people are griping about it in hopes that Brad or someone that actually cares will listen.
I read all of your replies Neilo and think you are completely blinded to the fact that there are problems or that the DG experience is far less robust than other games. Let me clarify what I mean by robust first: by robust I mean that the process of playing the game from the time of launch to the time of shut down is easy, full of features, stable in terms of bugs, and enjoyable. For me Demigod is like this:
1. Finding a game: I usually play custom games so I first need to find a game in my area (I would try Pantheon or Skirmish but no one is ever playing or it takes a long time to get a game and even then it is usually 2v2 or 3v3 which is not as compelling). I double click on the game to join and then wait to join the lobby. Note that there is no way to filter games AT ALL.
2. Connecting to the lobby: This works OK, sometimes it is slow though. Things have improved and now I feel like this is fine.
3. The lobby: The lobby is OK, my only complaint here is the retarded user interface in which you have to scroll to find the random options. Oh, and I am constantly scared to alt+tab for fear the game will crash (this used to happen everytime, not sure if it happens any more).
4. The game loads: I hate the loading screen. Why? Because there is no indication as to why things are taking so long. Sometimes you wonder if people have dropped etc. but there is no feedback at all.
5. The actual game:
- You cross your fingers that there is no lag because if there is then everyone is screwed.
- The game's graphics are good although I don't think that the presence of the Demigods is pronounced enough. I say this because some of the Demigods blend in and you can't even see them in a large fight (I'm looking at you Erebus [e digicons]>[/e] ).
- The features are good, lots of choices in skills and citadel upgrades.
- The differences from DotA are a nice enhancement.
- The strategy elements are good.
- The minimap BLOWS (since it is unclickable).
- The controls are fine, but as I said before there are bugs STILL. Demigods breakdance on the corners in Cataract (because the get stuck and just stand there fighting with the corner). Minions will many times not follow my DG from the base to wherever I go because they get caught on something and wont move (happens on Zikurat frequently). Sometimes I have had friends complain that spells won't work. I hate it when you click a button to initaite a skill and it stops your movement. Rearranging items in slots is stupidly difficult.
- There are desync issues, critical game states, disconnects (without the option to rejoin)
- The AI is PANTS ON HEAD RETARDED (reference: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/8-Halo-3). If someone leaves you might as well give up because the AI will feed the entire game. I have won very few games where someone leaves.
- The game is missing so many documentation details. Exactly how many points do you need to get to warscore 8? I have no idea, I just sit there and hope that the day will come soon. You get a buff when an ally dies? What does it do? Who has what? I have no idea.
How often do you play 5v5 games? In DG I find it to be VERY hard to get a 5v5 going and once you do, inevetably someone lags and the whole game is screwed. In both HoN and LoL every game I have played has been 5v5 and I have had 0 connectivity/lag problems.
The icing on the cak is that the game has been out for 5 months now (almost) so let me ask you this: do you think that these problems are still acceptable?
Also, here is another big problem. From reading the posts from Brad it is clear to me that there is no way that either SD or GPG is commited to seeing DG furthered (in any tangible way in a reasonable amount of time). They will maybe drop some new DGs in a few months, but that is it. GPG is off doing some other game and SD is focused on Elemental. So, in a sense you are right that griping in these forums will do nothing because no one is listening or even if they are they won't do anything about it because it is "too expensive".
I am not "bashing" DG, I am trying to point out how frustrating it is to be a paying customer for a product that seems like it is not going to be fixed.