HOST DEDICATED SERVERS
Have lower to higher RANKED SERVERS. Have servers evaluate player rankings and have dedicated servers reject over-ranked players trying to join lower ranked servers and vice versa. Players would have to "fight" thier way up to the higher level servers. This would "BALANCE" games. Players would always be playing people within thier skill sets.
The dedicated servers will keep cycling maps with varying amounts of slots available..always maxing the slots. (This meaning if it is a 5v5 map...10 slots open and and will start once filled. No player is in control of slots. Nor can they see what demigods other players choose. They would only see names and rankings.
If players get over a certain threshold of disconnects, they would only be able to join the lowest ranked servers until thier threshold is back within tolerance.
There are a multitude of ways to make this happen with cost in mind.
1. Have dedicated servers in different geographic areas.
2. Have each server with slots and a que.
3. As a game progresses and some one "rage quits" or disconnects..the slot is open and a player in the que with the same demigod is brought in at the same level and items.
4. Disconnected player gets a loss.
5. New connected player gets neither win or loss but gets exp and favor.
6. Players that leave cause no desync issues with others as there is no peer to peer involved.
7. Custom could be hosted peer to peer.
Add dedicated "Clan servers" in which players that form a Clan can rent. Minimum Clan size and upfront fee for X number of months (I would say 6 mos to a year). Dedicated admin for each "Server" (Server would be based on total slots hosted with LIVE players concurrently). Clan ranks would be captured from these servers based on minimum settings defined by Clan community or SD.
Final note: I know the peer to peer methodology is for cost savings. I would say that there would be community interest in hosting dedicated ranked servers. This could be implemented as a beta program and I believe that you will find it more successful than you might think.